We understand a webinar as a non-face-to-face meeting that takes place thanks to an online platform. These are events aimed at disseminating academic, technical, or training content.
The construction of the word webinar arises by combining the term web with the seminar. we are actually talking about a seminar that takes place through the web (or a specialized video conferencing service, such as Zoom and its immersive view ).
What Is Webinar
In general, the broadcast of a webinar takes place life, since one of the objectives is that the attendees and the speakers interact with each other. Another differential point of this type of telematic meeting is that, in general terms, access to them does not imply a cost for the attendees.
Of course, some of these conferences usually have a promotional objective, inviting those present to benefit from certain payment services. They also function as an introduction to a full course in a certain subject.
Because they are broadcast in real-time, the webinar is always established with a specific time and date. If not, then this is not a seminar, but a syndication or training video. The difference is that these latest formats are accessible by users at all times.
As with face-to-face meetings, the organization of the webinar must establish a specific place where the meeting will be held.
There is no single platform on which to develop virtual seminars, but it is possible to use general options, such as Zoom or Google Meet, or specific ones, such as GoToWebinar.
In any case, it must have participation and moderation functions so that the event is carried out in an orderly and organized manner. It is common for webinars to admit only users who have previously registered.
What is a webinar for?
A webinar can pursue various objectives. We cannot say that it is useful for something in particular. However, the most recurrent objective in this type of online seminar is to address a specific subject from a training or information point of view.
Webinars are mostly useful in professional and educational settings . So that you understand the possibilities they offer, we give you some examples.
- A company uses a webinar to show its employees how to adapt to a new product launched by the company.
- A freelance professional who works in the marketing sector takes advantage of a meeting of these characteristics to attract new clients. He does this by offering an informative and hands-on session about his services.
- An educational center takes advantage of this system with its own students.
As you have seen, the options that webinars put at our disposal are very wide. In all the cases mentioned in the previous paragraph, the advantages provided by webinars were used. What are some of them?
- The participation of one or several speakers live is possible and close contact is maintained with the public that attends the call.
- The training is given remotely and unnecessary travel is avoided, both by the organizers and the participants.
- The costs of launching a webinar are infinitely lower than those of a face-to-face meeting.
- Webinars allow the use of all kinds of resources, such as explanatory videos, presentations or audio recordings.
- If undertaken for commercial purposes, webinars allow you to reach many people at the same time and apply specific sales techniques.
- Even when the purpose is not to obtain direct profit, webinars usually improve the image of the speaker and give him an authority on the subject matter. On the other hand, the published content, even delayed, is easily shared on social networks, as is the case with Instagram.